Notices

Drinking is truly dead to me

Old 06-16-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking is truly dead to me

Hi all,
Ive tried to quit alcohol many times over the past few years and usually havent gotten very far. The avergae is a few days and the longest was a couple of months. During those times i felt optimistic that i would remain sober but the desire to drink was still there.

This time feels different. I have absoloutely no desire to drink. The thought of alocohol sickens me to my stomach and makes me literally cringe. I really feel 100% well and truly done with the posionous stuff which new for me.

I used to smoke and one day i just woke up and felt similarly disgusted by the thought of smoking and never touched one since. I was just totally fed up with the whole thing. I've been waiting to feel this way about alcohol for a long time and now the time is here. My thoughts are not "I feel like a drink" and then a downward spiral. They are the complete opposite and I feel this huge sense of relief to be free of the grip of addiction.

I have no desire to hit ROCK bottom or get a rude wake up call......whilst I have certainly felt the consequences of drinking, it could have been alot worse. Im so grateful I have had my awakening before I completely destroyed my life.

It is early days yet but i have this sense of conviction in relation to staying sober. I KNOW I will stay sober. Im totally 100% committed to my sobriety but more then that I am completely committed to healing myself and nurturing my mind, body and soul.

to the SR community for being a part of my recovery.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Are you attending AA and working with a sponsor or another treatment program?
Old 06-16-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dont attend AA or have a sponsor and face to face supports are unavailable to me currently. I do however have an intensive treatment plan that I follow daily and am seeking any online supports to help me through my recovery.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Make this your final quit.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Good for you whitelight! It feels good when you have craving removed from your body. It still wouldn't hurt to have a plan to help you with your journey. Last Thursday I went to a meeting and the guy sitting next to meet was talking about all the lost time he had given away during his life. Now he is waiting for a liver transplant. This morning I went to a meeting and another guy informed us he got extremely bad news from his doc. He is in stage 4 with cancer of the pancreas. Life is short and stopping now is a wise decision. We may be lucky enough to dodge some of these tragic circumstances and if not, we went out fighting with a clean conscience.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you live in my head? I am having the exact same experience! Somehow this feels different...Day 6 and it feels very much like walking away from nicotine 8.5 years ago after 35 years. I drank 2-3 vodkas a day-ish for the last 5 years, and it needed to stop. Remembering NOT being much of a drinker for my 1st 53 years seems to help as this is relatively new behavior and not beneficial to my life. It adds nothing, but takes away a lot. Keep on, WhiteLight!
Old 06-17-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Every rock bottom is different. Some people don’t have to lose it all or end up with multiple dui charges to get their head on right. Or maybe we are all lucky that cop didn’t turn the lights on or we didn’t cross that yellow line and hit an on coming car. Congrats on figuring it out. My rock bottom was the thought of cheating my daughter years with her dad.

Always forward.