Old 06-10-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Katzen

Originally Posted by jjwinters View Post
Absolutely. That's what I plan on addressing with her next. She needs to see a counselor or therapist in order for this to continue. She needs to be responsible more managing her own daily life and personal issues. Relationships become a nightmare when you feel like you're all of a sudden babysitting your partner. It's like they can't do anything on their own, without your opinion, help, action etc. It's emotionally, physically, and time consuming. And when I do have free time, I'm absolutely exhausted from tending to her.

We can all do nice things for each other in a relationship to help out. It becomes a very different thing when it's a requirement and they're completely co-dependant.
Bless you for sticking with her and trying to help. I can’t say I was the same as your girlfriend because I was a secret drinker and my husband thought I’d have a glass or two occasionally but had no idea I used to keep stashes of booze hidden in various parts of the house and how physically addicted I became last year until after months being sober I got super drunk last month, lied to him said I hadn’t been drinking, he found some booze I had hidden away so I confessed how bad my drinking had gone very out of control last year I was physically addicted and I did quit but relapsed maybe I should go to a rehab place... and instead of standing by me he left me. Over 20 years together and he since refuses to even talk to me.

At least you’re giving your girlfriend a chance to get help but if she doesn’t even recognize her drinking problem she will continue to drink and might try to hide it from you like I hid it from my husband for years. Was easy to hide because I didn’t get obviously trashed when he was home then my secret became a physical addiction before I finally opened my eyes and knew I had to quit so I could live long enough to see my grandkids grow up and to see our two new puppies grow up.

Maybe leaving her would get her to open her eyes to her problem... or maybe she will feel depressed over the break up and use that as an excuse to drink even more. I really hope you two can talk it out she’s lucky to have you supporting her.