View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tomsteve

welcome dogman. truly sorry to read of the turn of health but glad to read of the service dog and ya hitting meetings elsewhere. i would be glad to see someone coming to a meeting with a service dog.

i dont know what the fear of a dog at a meeting is, but it is quite childish. i would love to see the minutes of each groups business/GC meeting to see where it was determined no service dogs allowed- reads like a lot of fear and egos.
on the question:
"Can a "group" place restrictions on a person bring his/hers Service Dog to a meeting?"
denying someone access to anything because of a service dog( i think that therapy and emotional support dogs are excluded) crosses into federal laws here.

imo, it would be wise to speak with central office new york. im not sure if AA has ever had this issue. if not, it should be addressed real quick- noone should be denied access to a meetings because of a service dog.

in short, i think those groups could be breaking federal law and probably doing it in buildings that the groups are renting space in, which the buildings owner may have a different belief and may even not like hearing service dogs arent allowed at the meetings.
and if breaking federal law, it could very well fall on the landlord,too.