View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DogMan5811

Service Dogs attending AA meeting

Greetings,

My name is Eamon and I'm an alcoholic. I go by the user name Dog Man because that's what I do, a Professional Dog Trainer. I actually owned and operated a training and boarding facility for dogs. I specialized in training Service Dogs. I know the Americans with Disabilities Act like tge back of my hand. As such, I know that there is NO national certification for Service Dogs in tge United States. Service Dogs (SD) can be trained by a professional, such as myself, or can be "self trained" by the individual dog owner. Agree with it or not THAT is how the law, the ADA, is written

In 2013 I became deathly ill. It turned out that the land my training and boarding facility is on was contaminated. I got extremely sick. I won't go into details but I ended up having to close down my business due to health concerns. There is more to tge story but I will spare you the details.

Anyway, I've been in and out of AA for several years. Like many of us, I stop working the Steps and attending meetings.

After losing my business, my finances and facing health problems, I became serverly depressed. It wasn't long before I started drinking again.

Thank God I came to realized that drinking wasn't going to solve any of my problems and that I had to learn to "live life on life's terms". So I returned to AS, started reworking the Steps, reading tge Big Book and for a Sponsor.

Here's my problem. Many in my home group know me and know that I am a professional dog trainer. I was , of course, welcomed back with opened arms. Only this time instead of training Service Dogs for other people, I have had to train my OWN Service Dog. My home group has no problem with me bring my SD with me to meetings.

However, my home groups noon meeting is not very well attended and usually there is NO NOON MEETING! So I decided to go to another group in town for my noon meetings. Here is where I have ran into a SERIOUS PROBLEM!!!

After attending a nnon meeting with my SD, his name by the way is Danu, I was confronted by a "member", who had actually chaired the meeting. He asked me "Is your dog a "certified " Service Dog?" I said "No, therr is NO national certification for Service Dogs in the US."

This member said "Only "certified" dogs are allowed to attend meeting!!" Again I explained to him that I AM a professional dog trainer and that I specialized in training Service Dogs.

What he said next FLOORED me. He said "If you can't provide certification, you are not welcome here and you have to find another group to attebd!"

I said "You are ignorant wgen it comes to federal laws governing Service Dogs!"

He got upset and said "Call me another name and I'll knock you on your ass!!"

This guy is a big "biker type" but I am 6'2" 220 former United States Marine. So biker types don't scare me.

I looked at the guy and said "I didn't call you a name. I called you ignorant. Now if I can you "stupid" , then that would be calling you a name!"

I guess he didn't know how to react to me not stepping down. So he said "If that dog growls at anyone, I'll kick it in the thoart and kill it!!"

I don't care if people threaten me but DO NOT threaten my dog.

I knew then that there was NO talking to this guy so I just left. When I went to a 5:30, at my home group, I told my Sponsor what had occured. My Sponsor said "The ONLY requirement for attending AS is a desire to stop drinking. Him telling you that you are disqualified and not welcome goes against the very basic of tge AS Traditions. Anyway, I know tge guy that confronted you, he has "issues" so just stay away from him. BUT you and Danu still can attend noon meerings at the other group."

Anyway, I decided to attend a noon meeting at the "otger" group today. I was running a little late so I got in about 10 min8after tge meeting started. I quietly took a seat in a corner withDanu.

Another man, not the one before, was chairing the meeting. When he saw Danu, he stopped tge meeting and said "No dogs allowed , you will have to leave!" Btw, Danu wears a blue service vest that clearly says "Service Dog".

Before I could say anything, a young lady, whom I have never seen before, said "That dog is a Service Dog and he or his owner can be denied access. "

The "chair " said "Sorry no dogs allowed."

I said "If you would like , I will be more that happy to discuss with you the laws governing Service Dogs, but after tge meeting."

Ok , long story short, I know too late" here is my question "Can an "individual " AA group ban a person with a Service Dog from attending meetings?"

I know what the law states but I was told that, during a "group conscious meeting", members of this group placed a ban on dogs unless the "handler" can prove the SD is certified. (Again there is NO certification for Service Dogs in the US.)

Again my question is "Can a "group" place restrictions on a person bring his/hers Service Dog to a meeting?"

What if I was a "newcomer" attending my first meeting and what if I was a Veteran with PTSD and was seeking help with alcoholism? What if that Vet was borderline suicidal and being "not welcome" pushed him over the edge? Not a very nice welcome for a "newcomer"