Old 05-31-2018, 09:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
JeffreyAK: in rehab, they routinely dispensed AD's and sleep meds. A lot of people here seem to credit their recovery program for keeping them sober. Take away the AD’s, the anti-anxiety meds, the sleep meds, the anti-craving meds, and I suspect they’d be drinking in no time.
I'm not sure where you were, but where I went they wouldn't prescribe psych meds like ADs to recovering addicts until they had been sober 6 months, before that there's too much other stuff going on to get a good diagnosis and appropriate meds. If people were already on them, fine, but I didn't see much of that in the outpatient program I went to.

Crediting a recovery program isn't the same thing as taking medications. You can follow a program, any program including one craft yourself, and not take meds, and that's what most people do.

But if you think medications will help, by all means see a doctor and give it a try, they do help some people. But I've never seen them substitute for a strong conviction that it's time to stop drinking, and a willingness to do whatever it takes to ensure that you stay stopped.