View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SparkleKitty

When I needed my XABF to move out and knew he would refuse and delay until I "chilled out", I called the police and asked their advice. I knew it might require an official eviction notice plus 30 days, and I was willing to pursue that route--but HE didn't know that, plus he was overconfident that I would change my mind (as I had in the past). Also, most of his energy went to drinking, recovering from drinking, and dealing with the aftermath of his drinking, so I rolled the dice a bit and told him I had talked to the police, and that they would get involved if he wasn't out of the house by the end of the week.

He played every card except the smart one, which would have been to find out himself whether or not I could force him out. He begged me to reconsider, he promised he would change, he told me he had nowhere to go, he even told me that in the third largest city in the world, he could not even find a hotel room for the night. I had to stay firm. I reiterated my deadline. He made one last effort, crying, asked for a hug, then asked me again to change my mind. I told him no, because by then I could see that to him, all he wanted was to get me to let him stay. He had no intention of changing. He had never even said he was sorry for knocking over my Christmas tree or taking my dog out of the house without her leash. I was not a person to him. I was a means to an end.

I would contact an attorney to understand what your rights are. But I would also not expect him to act like a rational person would.