Thread: Humility
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bullwinkle1944

Andante writes>>>Hmm... except that the point of humility (in AA at least) is to overcome self-will (a character defect) so that God's will can prevail. Theoretically, there are no "character assets" -- there is only God's will, and that which blocks you from God's will.<<<

You see it as a theory, I see it as MY reality, due to my self-will being why I got sober. What helped me is realizing and defining SYMPTOM, which is an indicator of the problem. My alcoholic drinking was both a problem and symptom. What causes the common cold is the problem and the bodies healing resistance that manifests different symptom(s) is an uncomfortable problem, but never the less is still the symptom. e.g., upper & lower respiratory, running nose, watery eyes, sneezing, coughing discomfort due to coughing, etc. Once the immune system adjusts the symptom and problem go away. Therefore, my alcoholic drinking was the symptom(indicator) of the problem that was my unresolved emotional / mental issues and when these issues were identified and solved I got sober.

I grew-up Christian and the nuns taught me that God gave me free will. I asked does God take my free will away, the nuns said no, it’s a gift from God due to you being created in the image and likeness of God. What you do with your free will is your choice and you choose based on you frame of reference to what is right and wrong, morality. This understand makes you culpable for your behavior. In other words, as the metaphor judgement day, I keep track of my life, I’m the only one that judges myself, not God or any finite human.