Thread: aging
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bird615
I could see peace instead of this

I relapsed at 50 after being sober for pretty much all of my adult life. One of the things that pushed me towards sobriety again was suffering from the progression of my drinking and the fact that I would soon be retiring at 55.

I just knew without a doubt that all that time on my hands would be disastrous because there'd no longer be a job/reason for me to try and keep my drinking somewhat under control (or at least the illusion of control). That and the increased risk of stroke and other health issues were the motivation I needed to get serious.

Because of that, I finally went back to AA and was able to successfully stop shortly after my retirement. I now spend my time doing pretty much whatever I want--working in my yard, more time to tend to household chores in a relaxed manner instead of rushing to get them done, riding my bike and practicing yoga, playing video games, reading, listening to music and programs that interest me, etc. I'm never bored. I'm so grateful I can wake up everyday and enjoy my retirement instead of being sick from hangovers and recovering from the latest binge.