Thread: aging
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Thankful. Welcome to SR. I'm 68 and have been retired a few years. I started drinking more heavily into the last couple of years of my career, though it was manageable then. When I retired I had more time on my hands. I live in a retirement community where every recreational opportunity is available to me. However, as my drinking escalated, I found I was foregoing my activities in order to drink. I became isolated. I preferred drinking to doing any of those things. I have learned that I cannot moderate. I no longer drink. I have found (in my community anyway), that alcohol is a huge part of socializing. There are porch parties every night and many start in the afternoon. I haven't been to any yet. In addition to the many activities offered here, many folks here have chosen to drink heavily and frequently during the 4th quarter of their lives. I suspect they are normies - I am not. I'm now enjoying some of the activities that I wasn't participating in, golfing more, trying to exercise more, volunteering more and perhaps most importantly, trying to be more involved with people rather than being self centered with the drink.

Do you want to quit drinking? If so, you've come to a great place.