Thread: aging
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thankful61

aging

I've been a drinker all my adult life and it was never a problem. I ran marathons and was into my career and raised kids with my wife. I really was just a social drinker, and sure I may have drank more than some other people but it was pretty much normal partying.

In the past 6 or so years I've gotten into it more, the kids are out of the house, the career is just a job, there's time and space to be filled up. I've found myself drinking for days or weeks in a row, starting in the late afternoon/evening but downing more and more as the binge wears on. At some point I wake up so depressed and sick feeling I stop for awhile, like a week at most. Then I head down binge street yet again.

I've read the largest group of surfacing alcoholics are seniors. It would seem it's because drinking is easy, relatively cheap, and makes the mundane more interesting. I have hobbies and still work out quite a bit, but they aren't connected to anything, so then there's this gap.

I see the general support and story trading, and it is constructive and helpful. I'm wondering if there are other seniors or boomers that want to relate how they cope with the fourth quarter of life and keeping discipline. Thanks.