View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
HOWEVER and here's where the divided mind is what the divided mind is - there are times I am frustrated with the social life of a non-drinker with the social world I happen to be a part of.
Perhaps you need to change the social world you are a part of then? There's no question that there is a certain group of people that I no longer spend time with. Mainly because the only thing I had in common with them was drinking alcohol. And there are certain places I simply don't go any more. For example, I will eat at a restaurant that has a bar, but I don't hang out in pure drinking bars anymore. I also don't attend things like boozy/bachelor party/"guys drinking weekend" type events.

What you will find as you get some more sober time under your belt, is that there is literally a whole social world out there that you never knew existed. And it won't just happen in a month of sobriety -it can take several months, even years, to start getting used to that concept. I just spent one of the busiest weekends I can remember doing things that I liked doing - with other people - and not a drop of alcohol or even the though of it crossed my mind.