Old 05-19-2018, 09:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Taz0730

125 days is pretty damn awesome. I’ve been at this (this time) for about the same amount of time but have had a few slips so I decided to stop counting days. I agree that simply refraining from alcohol does not solve all life’s problems and the numbing effects of alcohol are great. Two beers in and alcohol crosses the blood brain barrier and calm euphoria sets in. 8 more and life’s good.... then the next day. And it’s crap.... unless it’s the weekend and I crack a beer at 7:30am. After a while it all
Falls apart for me. Increased anxiety, depression. Interpersonal problems. Work problems. For me happiness is not possible while drinking. I didn’t even recognize myself. I didn’t do any of the things that used to make me happy. I hated my job. My relationship in shambles. Not really present for my four year old. That realization was rock bottom. I decided to not just stop drinking. I decided to change my life. I quit. I joined the gym and go five days a week. I stopped watching tv and started listening to educational podcasts. I walk every night. I started to learn meditation. I cleaned my diet up completely. Lost 15 pounds. I decided to replace chaos with discipline. I comitted to me. That discipline has given me a real sense of freedom. I do what I do now regardless of how I feel. Don’t want to get up in the morning. I get up. Don’t want to go to the gym today. I go. If I really don’t want to go I tell myself if Tomorrow I still feel this way I won’t go but today I’m going. I am definitely not perfect and I know I will fail at things in the future, but I’m comitted to just getting up the next day and not failing that day without looking back. No guilt. Love yourself. I ask myself how would I treat me if I loved myself and wanted what’s best for me. Then I try and do that. Its not always easy but it’s satisfying