Old 05-19-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MissPerfumado

Like Dee says, I needed to find purpose in my life. For most of my life, that purpose has been chasing material success, which left me feeling empty. Part of my story of abusing alcohol was to find a way to numb the emptiness and quash the feelings of disquiet about my chosen path.

When I got sober, my purpose switched to recovery and rebuilding. I think you could use that as a focus for now, while you ponder on a purpose and meaning to your life.

After a year sober, I could not ignore the original feelings of emptiness and set to work addressing them. It was at times isolating and confronting work, but I'm glad I did it. I found my true purpose in life - it took me the whole second year of sobriety to find it.

There is no need to rush this work, just do it methodically. One thing at a time.

The path to finding your purpose lies in knowing yourself. It helps immensely to understand your values and from there you can build your mission. Most of us alcoholics have been running away from ourselves for a long time. It's not always an easy journey back to our true natures but the reward is a rich and full existence.