Old 05-08-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
djlook

Hello, Horn.

Congratulations on your 11 days. You've earned it. I'm really, really proud of you.

On page 133 of the Big Book it says, "One of the many doctors who had the opportunity of reading this book in manuscript form told us that the use of sweets was often helpful, of course depending upon a doctor's advice. He thought all alcoholics should constantly have chocolate available for the quick energy value at times of fatigue. He added that occasionally in the night a vague craving arose which would be satisfied by candy. Many of us have noticed a tendency to eat sweets and have found this practice beneficial."

Different AA groups establish their own traditions. For instance, a 10 o'clock meeting I used to attend, the chairman of the group would bring donuts. Another 6 o'clock meeting I attended, a dermatologist in the group used to bring his samples of Dove body wash, soaps, etc., his drug salesmen would leave at his office. The meetings I attended, although in a small town, had a fair number of homeless people and sometimes a donut is all they had to eat that day, and the soap is all they had to bathe with. Us ladies baked stuff all the time and put it up on the counter in the kitchen.

As far as the coffee, I've never attended a meeting that didn't have a coffee pot. I heard early in my sobriety all it took to have a meeting was two alcoholics, a coffee pot, and a resentment. The coffee making is also part of service work, along with cleaning bathrooms, taking out trash, arriving 30 minutes early to set up for meetings, cleaning up after meetings, etc. My sponsor had me do all those things. All of those little things made me feel a part of.

Thank you.