Notices

Day 11: Double Digits Baby!!! Also Candy at AA..

Old 05-08-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11: Double Digits Baby!!! Also Candy at AA..

I am both proud, and not so proud, of the fact that I strung the longest period of sobriety I have had in a year and a half . Physically feel great! Anxiety is an issue. As it always has been. In any event, I don’t think I could have gotten this far without AA.

Speaking of AA. I went to a meeting today, and the thing that jumped out at me, as it does at every meeting, like last night, all the sweets and coffee. Last night it was cookies and coffee. Today, it was M&Ms, Reese’s, snickers, etc...... and coffee.

What’s up with that?! 😎
Old 05-08-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice work my man. Here's to walking the right path, finally, for us both.

Keep it moving and stay up on these boards.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haha. Sugar/caffeine/nicotine junkies....but who's noticing? Lol.

Keep up the great work!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, Horn.

Congratulations on your 11 days. You've earned it. I'm really, really proud of you.

On page 133 of the Big Book it says, "One of the many doctors who had the opportunity of reading this book in manuscript form told us that the use of sweets was often helpful, of course depending upon a doctor's advice. He thought all alcoholics should constantly have chocolate available for the quick energy value at times of fatigue. He added that occasionally in the night a vague craving arose which would be satisfied by candy. Many of us have noticed a tendency to eat sweets and have found this practice beneficial."

Different AA groups establish their own traditions. For instance, a 10 o'clock meeting I used to attend, the chairman of the group would bring donuts. Another 6 o'clock meeting I attended, a dermatologist in the group used to bring his samples of Dove body wash, soaps, etc., his drug salesmen would leave at his office. The meetings I attended, although in a small town, had a fair number of homeless people and sometimes a donut is all they had to eat that day, and the soap is all they had to bathe with. Us ladies baked stuff all the time and put it up on the counter in the kitchen.

As far as the coffee, I've never attended a meeting that didn't have a coffee pot. I heard early in my sobriety all it took to have a meeting was two alcoholics, a coffee pot, and a resentment. The coffee making is also part of service work, along with cleaning bathrooms, taking out trash, arriving 30 minutes early to set up for meetings, cleaning up after meetings, etc. My sponsor had me do all those things. All of those little things made me feel a part of.

Thank you.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yay Horn. Congratulations.

Also one of the funniest things I've heard about recovery -

"I heard early in my sobriety all it took to have a meeting was two alcoholics, a coffee pot, and a resentment. "

Brilliant!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You should be nothing but proud, very proud. I think leaving the past behind us is important to sobriety. Keep moving forward my friend😀
Old 05-08-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 11 days Horn. Hope you got something more out of the meeting than candy cookies and coffee

D
Old 05-09-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Well done Horn! Keep it up
Old 05-09-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

great thread....Doughhhhhhnuts....YUM! - Homer Simpson
Old 05-09-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 11 too!! Sounds like we're making this journey together. We got this! Keep going to AA, even when you don't feel like you need to.

The sugar I think is partially to replace those alcohol cravings, its a nice thing to do, and who doesn't love sugar?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Speaking of AA. I went to a meeting today, and the thing that jumped out at me, as it does at every meeting, like last night, all the sweets and coffee. Last night it was cookies and coffee. Today, it was M&Ms, Reese’s, snickers, etc...... and coffee.

What’s up with that?! 😎
I don’t know but I want to be at that meeting!! Great job !!
Old 05-09-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Last night it was cookies and coffee. Today, it was M&Ms, Reese’s, snickers, etc...... and coffee.
It's because alcohol is loaded with sugar. When you eat sweet stuff the brain thinks it's a drink. In early sobriety (first year) it was suggested that I have a milkshake if I got cravings.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awesome!

For me, the first 2 weeks are by far the hardest, you're nearly there! Keep going!