View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jazzman
Occasional poor taste poster

I can actually help here. I've been divorced twice, (not proud about that but I got that broke picker thing goin on). You do not have to rack up Attorneys fees to take care of this, you can do it yourself. My 1st ex thought a limit on a credit card was a "goal to be acheived"! You would be amazed at how far you can get with creditors just by picking up the phone. Tell them the situation, ask if you can have the account converted to a close ended loan with a set limit at what the balance currently is. Verify they can not increase the limit or reactivate an idle account without both signitures. It doesn't take much effort to stop current financial obligations from increasing but would take years to pay off if you do nothing about it now. Most important, pull a credit history on both your and your soon to be ss#. That way you can identify accounts that might have been opend by your soon to be that you were not even aware of. I had a few of them! Contact each creditor w/ the same drill. Don't delay!