Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  
SunshineSally

Originally Posted by DrivenHeart85 View Post
I wonder how that does work in the long term. If you keep saying no to alcohol and keep living just fine, does the midbrain get a clue and calm down about needing alcohol?

I wonder if this is what they mean when they talk about re-wiring neural pathways. Because, judging by listening to people with a lot of sober time, their Beast doesn't continually keep harassing them like it did initially. Maybe you're just teaching your old dog a new trick...
It would make sense that the longer we stay away from alcohol, and especially if we eat healthy foods and exercise, there's definite positive changes in the body--our cells, tissues, vascular system, organs (including the brain), general body chemistry. The body's learning to repair itself instead of reacting defensively to alcohol. A good cycle starts as you get better sleep eventually, which gives you more energy and also is reparative in itself. That in itself can lessen anxiety and depression, and then you have the strength to deal with the problems of every day life.
So I'd say simply abstaining settles things down as far as wicked cravings as time goes on in a purely physiological sense alone.
It's sheer stupidity to drink when the body's finally beginning to repair itself and you're feeling much better. I say that knowing I've been sheerly stupid many times over. The AV would lie that I was feeling so much better that I could handle a drink with no repercussions whatsoever, or that I eat so healthy that I can have somewhat of a drinking problem and not suffer for it.
Not! I know those lies very well.