Old 10-13-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
For the first time since making a Big Plan I was tempted and got into a debate with the Beast. Once you start, it's hard to stop – and I had to exercise some willpower. I'm a bit like April in that my AV sometimes makes me think eventually my Beast will get the better of me. And tonight he came quite close.

Any tips?
Your AV is just doing its job, which is to undermine your confidence, so don't argue. Stay in the first person pronoun, "I", and don't let the AV use it. You can talk about IT, but don't talk to it. If you feel like you are on autopilot, try the "vertigo" technique I described in my post earlier.

Next time your Beast acts up, try asking it to give you one good reason why you should drink, other than "to feel good," then ask it to wiggle your fingers. You'll see that it can't do anything, only you can.

If you really are afraid, though, consider getting rid of the supply until you get the hang of it. You don't need to prove anything, and you can do the shifting exercises using Youtube videos.

Close doesn't count, BTW.