Old 10-12-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
I think my Beast is a proud supporter of my cynicism. I went for a walk last night and this thought popped into my head, "If AVRT really worked, then why are the people who use it hanging out on a sober recovery forum? Wouldn't they just take their abstinence and leave the addiction field entirely since they're "cured"?" To which I thought, "Aha! I've solved it, it's all lies!"
Yes, the Addictive Voice will use your own cynicism against you, particularly if other things have not "worked" for you. Part of the "problem" with AVRT is that in many respects, it is probably too simple. At first, you might think "this is too simple, it can't possibly work," and you can be sure that the Beast will try and take full advantage of that perception. The truth, of course, is that nothing "works" except not drinking/using.

Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
And this whole thought conversation was taking place in the "I" and I didn't directly correlate it to drinking at all so not the AV at all, so I kept thinking about it...then later that night, I thought, "If people who use AVRT are still on these forums because they need more help to support their abstinence, then that means AVRT doesn't work, and if AVRT doesn't work then I'll drink again, and if I'll drink again, I might as well start whenever I feel like it." which then led to, "Aha! I found you Beast, you like to disguise yourself as my cynicism!"

So my AV will not always be so obvious at first but if I follow the thought through in my head, I can figure out where it would eventually lead. I think I'm getting it. lol
Very good, April. You've discovered the "strategic" Addictive Voice, which unlike the usual, dumb AV, is more like a chess player. It will take you around in circles and through a few detours first, but the end game is still the same — to drink or use drugs.