Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
I could tell last week that my AV and I would go back and forth and back and forth...like I was trying to silence it, that was definitely white knuckling and when I decided I was just going to drink.

With the way I see the AV now, I had the thought, "I should pick up some beer while at the grocery store." I ruminated on it a bit and came about the picture of what I'd turn into if I said yes, attached that image to the AV, and thought "SHE's the one trying to get me to drink" and bam, it was gone. That was the first time where I just recognized it and it stopped...there was no back and forth.
I think you've got it, April. The AV will pop up again eventually, but just recognize it as HER voice speaking, picture HER in your mind, and it will settle down. There is actually an ACTION tip in the RR book on Page 160 titled "Take a Picture of Your Beast."

The AV can come in many forms, though, so you may want to read my "Functions of the Addictive Voice" post earlier in the thread. Set your confidence level in your ability to abstain arbitrarily at 100%, and recognize all self-doubt as the AV itself, and you'll do well.