Old 04-17-2018, 09:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KatieNoPockets

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I would start regularly attending Alanon if you aren't already. The road to sobriety is their journey and theirs alone, there is nothing you can do to make sure they stay on the right path.
Rehab is usually the first stop, from there they should be going to an IOP for about 6 months, then a transition into daily AA. If this is just a rehab stint then dump back home without a solid plan in place, this can be a bad situation to return to old ways.
I did AlAnon and I was really frustrated - I did a few different meetings and then a family member encouraged me to find a different outlet now and take a break - that is when I came - so far it has been better for me - on my own time and everyone here is supportive and offers so many perspectives.

He has a d/c plan with IOP, Vivitrol, therapy.....I'm working on my own plan of care for me - which includes evaluating and addressing my knowledge deficits.

I don't think I am looking to say things to keep him on the path of sobriety, I know all too well that is not my job - thats his thing- but I am looking to learn the language of recovery to the extent that I am an informed and may have a few clever questions or comments that spur conversation - provide open-ended conversations. Communication with anyone can be elevated to an artform - or it can be divisive and dismissive. I am looking to develop some mad talking points, elevated skills. I am growing in these moments too, I just appreciate anecdotal insights along the way. Thanks.