Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Originally Posted by KatieNoPockets View Post
Thank you for your advice. Taken!
I can't speak to the experience of others, I see how destructive and corrosive alcoholism can be, but after years of sobriety, he had been exceptionally dependable, responsible, trustworthy, caring, a model employee, and citizen of this world. We all have our moments, we all stumble. He deserves nothing less than compassion and opportunity. He hurt himself in this relapse - more than anyone. I get that. I need evidence he is committed to taking advantage of that opportunity - but if it isn't given - it can't be utilized.
What kind of evidence would you require?

I know that it has turned your world upside down, but there are no guarantees in life and addiction.

I think One Day At A Time works - it may be the only thing that works. Being present in this moment and not giving into fear is key.

He can't give you any guarantees and really all you can do or need to do is be your own best self, create boundaries and create a life outside the relationship so you aren't putting all your eggs in his basket right now. When I was newly sober I couldn't take on any other person's fears or issues. He can't do anything more than be sober and regain your trust and that just takes time.

Let it unfold. It will anyway.