Old 04-16-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KatieNoPockets

He's leaving rehab next week...Advice on what to say/not say?

I am looking for advice from those who have been in rehab/recovery:

What were helpful things that your friends/family would say to you?
What made you cringe? Made you feel that they didn't understand?

I am new to all of this. A wife trying to learn how to be supportive, but not intrusive. This is his journey, his recovery. He knows I am trying to understand, I am educating myself on this disease, and finding my own healing.

I just don't want to approach these opportunities without some advice from people on the other end. I know if people approach me 'as if they knew what I went through' I can often dismiss their genuine caring and concern. He's no delicate flower - he knows I love him and it all comes from a good place, but I want to evolve into someone who does 'get it' - and I know that asking the right questions is the biggest part of getting to the real issue.

When/If he does open up to me, I am all ears, if he doesn't, that's okay too....but I want to be prepared with the right attitude and a thoughtful approach.

I want to learn more about how to navigate these delicate topics, I want to learn more about what has worked for you, what someone said that was helpful/loving/kind. Thank you all for being so kind and supportive to me so far.