View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
newlyaddicted

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll take it all on board. I guess I was initially curious about the difference between physical and mental addiction and couldn't find much about it. In my memory, I've gone through more periods of moderate drinking than excessive so thought if I could recover from the physical dependence, and it's not permanent, could go back to it. But if I'm honest, I guess I might have trouble with moderate drinking because I would miss being drunk and would want to experience that again. And then I guess I risk withdrawals again now if I get drunk? Also, I've had a chronic illness last few years which has kinda kept me from drinking at all. And when I think about it, shortly before starting again once I got better, I ended up here rather quickly. Just a taste for getting drunk again I guess made me do it more often. And a few years ago prior to illness, there were definitely periods I went through, blacking out and doing stuff I'm not proud of. But they were also counterbalanced by better periods, I think. So maybe there has been a growing problem there I haven't been aware of.