View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 12:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I think the learning curve for me in early sobriety was to stay away from slippery people and slippery place, especially at times I was used to drinking or when HALT was in evidence (HALT is Hungry Angry Lonely Tired).

I also needed to make myself new routines for those times when drinking was my go-to default, which for me especially meant weekends.

I had a great Friday night. An AA friend picked me up early evening and we drove to a nearby city and went for a walk and got coconut coffee and chatted, then we went to a meeting, then went (with a group of people from the meeting) for pizza and a good catch up. Got home for about 10.30 ready for pjs and starting my new mystery book. Early sobriety Friday night's looked a lit more like white-knuckling and I put myself through a lot of unnecessary pain that way.

What could you do different so Saturday night doesn't go the same way? Maybe think out of the box a bit. Look to see what's on locally. Reach out to friends and family members who don't rely on alcohol to get them through Saturday evening and hook up with them for a take away or something. Anything as long as It's Not drinking, and not what you used to do. Sure as eggs are eggs, if nothing changes nothing will change.

BB