View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Andante

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I agree with the other posters, PAWS doesn't exist. After about 4 days alcohol withdrawal is done, and now you are faced with the scariest part, life without booze.
I have no wish to start a "Is PAWS real?" debate, but this is simply beyond the pale.

It might be an idea to avoid making sweeping categorical statements that invalidate other people's experiences and betray "contempt before investigation" on your part.

With the benefit of 5 years' hindsight I can certainly vouch for the existence of a peculiar and debilitating set of symptoms -- which can be conveniently grouped under the heading of PAWS -- that had nothing to do with adapting to a sober life and everything to do with whacked-out neurology.

Just because the syndrome isn't yet well recognized or understood by the mainstream medical establishment (which has enough trouble understanding alcoholism itself, thank you very much, never mind PAWS) doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I find things go better when I stick to sharing my own experience and don't make judgments about matters I don't fully understand.