View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
paulokes

I had never heard of PAWS until I joined this site 5+ years ago. I have still rarely heard of it other than online forums despite work in healthcare and spending sometime volunteering in alcohol services. I do think it's worth pointing out...while some find it a useful way of understanding symptoms...there is very little evidence for PAWS as a medical phenomenon and it's generally understood to be a concept driven by ex-alcohol abusers, with little recognition by the medical community.

I had many symptoms to get to grips with when I stopped drinking. Stopping g and staying stopped wasn't easy. Some were probably already there and masked by drink...some were probably residual damage caused by years of heavy drinking. They did mostly resolve in time.

I guess for me personally it helped to understand my problems as a consequence of my heavy drinking as opposed to prolonged withdrawal, or as a consequence of stopping drinking. Subtle difference but it seems important to me.

And as Scott says severity of withdrawal symptoms get worse over time. The consequences always get worse.

Hope you get some help with your own difficulties

P