View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ladybird579

He doesn't hide his drinking, and fully knows what my thoughts are regarding it, but weirdly enough this is something he is honest about.

Am sorry but really you wouldn't know. Active alcoholics are not honest about anything. My exah husband collapsed in front of me one day cos his spirit drinking perforated his duodenum( I never ever even saw an empty spirit bottle in the house much less him drinking any). I thought I knew what he was drinking. I was stunned when we got to the ER cos they worked it out right away..something I'd missed for 20 years! He was home all day, he rarely left the house except to buy alcohol which I thought was 6 cans of beer. I saw his receipts. I thought I was on it but the reality was he drank much, much more. He even sneaked down at night when I was asleep. Your bf can drink in a restaurant, he can drink in his car, he can drink anywhere you are not..at work.... anywhere. They just do. Mine used to hide a bottle in the toilet cistern and take a crafty swig when he went to the loo. Am not telling you this to step up your monitoring of his drinking. That is a waste of time and he's a grown adult who can drink when and what he likes. Am telling you this to hopefully get you to understand you are not in control of what he is doing and you will never know the full extent of it. You either live with it or leave cos he won't change. Why should he? It's not like he was sober when you met him. You knew what he was like when you moved in together.