View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wamama48

No. It gets worse. I've researched alcoholism so much I finally stopped because I just was tired of the whole vile subject. Short explanation...alcohol damages the part of the brain that controls impulse. They try to stop, they can't without help. They do have a choice to stop obviously, they choose not to.

I did the exact same thing you've done with your ABF, trying to make them see the damage they are doing, trying to tell them how much its hurting you, trying trying trying. Big arguments, saying hurtful things to try to get through to them. It never, ever worked. He didn't stop. He cut down so many times, it never stuck. And alcoholism is progressive. You've seen that will your own two eyes right?

I did that for 18 years. I guess I'm kinda tenacious that way. Or clueless. The damage I allowed to happen to myself is massive. I'm buried and its almost impossible to dig myself out.

Everyone on this forum will tell you the exact same thing I just told you. They've BTDT. Never will he quit until HE is ready. You can't convince him otherwise. If you had that power, he'd be happy and sober right now. Its a miserable, gut wrenching thing to dig yourself out of staying in an alcoholic relationship. Get out before you get there.