View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 11:03 AM
  # 835 (permalink)  
squirrelly77
Little Girl Found

Good stuff, huh, Eddie? Having a regular sleep schedule--it totally helps with our daily activities. That's something I took for granted until I decided to get sober--and those nasty withdrawals didn't allow for me to sleep for a few days straight. Ugh...don't miss that one bit!!!

I'm getting back into playing the oboe. That was my love and my life for a long time. Unfortunately I was so riddled with performance anxiety that it brought up a TON of fear as well. My poor music teacher (the one I mentioned in my earlier post) saw the talent in me and tried...and tried...AND tried to help me overcome that and it just seemed to make it worse. Did you ever play at what we call "Solo and Ensemble"? That's where you either play as a soloist or with some other people in front of a judge and they rank you on your abilities. I finally went my Sophomore year in HS as a soloist on my oboe, and that same teacher decided to be my accompianist on the piano. I loved working with him and he really tried to help me, but still--that anxiety was just so paralyzing and I couldn't seem to shake it. It's not until now where I'm finally dealing with the root cause of that fear that I'm thinking that I'm able to perform again in front of an audience. I knew the time would come where I would be involved in music again...because it's such a HUGE part of me and it really brings me closer to God in such an amazing way.

So, you played the stand up bass? That's soooo cool. I always wanted to start playing a stinged instrument, and I have a friend who taught violin lessons. I tried a couple times, and according to her I had a pretty good tone...so I don't know. Maybe someday. Um...guitar...yeah, that's hard. It's like my fingers just don't want to stretch and hold it right or something. Hard to explain. The bass seemed easier, but that's because it has less strings and less stretching. If you really liked music and you liked performing...you should get back into it! I'm glad I am. Right now...I'm looking to rent out another oboe, since I sold mine a couple years ago. I can't afford a new one, but they have music stores around here that offer rent-to-own purchase options. I would also like to find a private teacher to help with my technique, and then I want to audition for my school's orchestra next semester. I think it would be so awesome to be part of a group again.

Wow...this turned out to be a long post. So...it's about time that I start studying.

Later, y'all!

Danielle