View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Cosima11

Originally Posted by chowchow View Post
Welcome. This REALLY made sense to me. If you are an alcoholic you DO have a higher power and the higher power is alcohol. When alcoholics drink we turn our lives and our will over to alcohol. This is 100% true for me. When I heard that it made it easier for me to accept the higher power concept.
Makes sense to me too! I'm not intentionally romanticizing it but actually feel I had a "spiritual awakening" somewhere amidst the 10,000 drinks. Became very interested in spirituality and mysticism. Transcendence was what I was seeking, bringing myself back down to earth in my daily life is what sobriety has been about for me.

I've always believed in powers greater than myself but the Christian concept of God is really a personification of man.. Tapping into the "higher self" through intuition, the subconscious, etc. is what works for me. It's taken several months of sobriety for me to start stepping back into spirituality, and I haven't found I needed AA to stay sober. But by all means do whatever works and don't get too hung up on the semantics.