View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
BodhiMarshall

God can be anything on

Originally Posted by GirlScreaming View Post
I went to my first meeting today. It was every bit as awkward as I thought it would be, but I met some nice people and received some help literature. I plan on returning. That said, I'm a non believer, and a lot of the literature/meeting was uncomfortable for me. They start and end each meeting with the serenity prayer and a lot of the 12 steps reference God.
The literature states several times that the group isn't religious, but spiritual, and all are welcome including atheists, but it doesn't feel like it.

My question is, how am I going to take a program seriously when it so often brings up a topic I don't believe in? Does anyone have any tips for how to use the 12 steps in a way that isn't about God?

Thanks for reading
God could be your intillect, your conscience, a Diety, or my favorite when I complained about the same thing was it's just G.O.D aka Group of drunks who share their experience strength and hope with each other. It is Good as you understand him/her it or them...it works unless you believe you actually are God.if you were you probably wouldn't be going to AA meetings.

Last edited by BodhiMarshall; 03-18-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Typos