View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
CGfamily

Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
Hi CGfamily, question--are you attending AA or any recovery meetings of any kind? Sounds like you are relying on will power to get the desired result. I recommend finding an AA group on post or local economy. I had 10 years active duty, Viet Nam vet, and your drinking sounds identical to mine while I was in. Had to stay sober through the week, but when off I partied hardy to say the least. I left the military at age 29 but did not get sober until age 41. If you truly want to stop entirely, there are no half-measures. I encourage you to find an AA group, get a copy of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, and see what happens to your soul and mind. Sooner or later we will want to be sober more than we want to drink. No one here will tell you that by just wanting to be sober will we lose the desire to get the feeling that alcohol produced in us, it is too strong for alcoholics. As a fellow soldier I would suggest highly seeking out meetings in person. Keep us posted, and God bless. Recovery is possible for sure.

You’re right.... like I keep repeating I’m just sick of the exact same cycle every....... single......... week... self loathing and regret until about the 3rd or 4th day, then Friday hits and it’s “see you’re not not an alcoholic you made it 5 days! Just have a little wine.... 2 bottles and 3 beers later I’m feeling awful on Saturday morning... then keep from drinking until the afternoon on Saturday to get rid of the hangover because “only alcoholics drink in the mornings”.....

It’s all ridiculous and repetitive. I realize I’m probably going to have to separate from certain friends and situations... but it has to be done