View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hattedcat
Optimist

Here is me, and I assume I'm not alone

Hi! I've joined this forum because I have been a highly functional alcoholic since the age of 18, but almost a decade on things are getting silly and I need to kick this addiction.

I've lived since my teens with depression and, like many people who are like that, medicate with alcohol. When I was younger this would involve drinking six pints of beer in my Uni digs on my own on Fridays and Saturdays, now I spend every weekend drinking from around midday (i.e. when I wake up) and haven't gone a weekday without drinking since the new year. This is taking a toll on me and I'm starting to miss work, which isn't an immediate threat as my job allows time management, but is definite a red flag.

Alcohol also makes me want to smoke, want to eat unhealthily, stops me from exercising and stops me from getting out and enjoying life. I drink almost exclusively alone and it helps me switch off from the world, but I want to be switched on. I also want to save money and improve my health.

I have a book and audiobook about sobriety and start therapy soon which requires I'm not abusing any substances. I'm an atheist, so AA isn't likely to work for me. I hope to learn from people on this forum and maybe benefit from any advice you might have to share particularly re: resources (books, websites, apps), how to stop myself from buying alcohol when I don't want any, and as I intend to go cold turkey this Sunday, how to deal with the immediate short term effects of coming off years of alcohol abuse.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Hope to gain and contribute.

CH