Old 03-02-2018, 02:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
What is wrong with me. Don't I get it. Just don't drink. How hard is that.
Hi Sweetichick. If you are an alcoholic of my type, just don't drink is not just hard, it is impossible. "The utter inability to leave it alone no matter how great the wish or the necessity" is the distiguishing characteristic of alcoholics like me.

Powerless and defenceless against the first drink. A lot of people go to meetings and still end up having a drink. Most slips I know about happen to folks that were going to meetings, that's how I know about them.

Then again, most people I know who go to meetings, get a sponsor, and work the steps seem to find the power to stay sober, power they didn't have before. I know that because that is what I did, and that is what happened to me and I see it happen to others all the time.

All of us that recovered (pretty much) came to AA with a desire to stop drinking. Not all of us stopped on the first day. It took a little time for the program to bite, but we all found at some point that we were suddenly easily able to control our desire to drink, just by following a few simple rules.

Don't be discouraged, step up the work rate a bit.