Old 03-01-2018, 01:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Another Michael here, same problem, just got me a bit quicker. After doing my best to keep going and solve the problem myself and finding myself at death's door, I went to AA, listened, and did what was suggested by way of a program. Too dumb to argue I guess.

Result, been sober ever since and have had a good, satisfying life for the most part.

There was a time where I thought I was different. In fact 8 of us from my rehb group were strongly of the view that we could find ways other than AA. Only 2 of our group went to AA, and they are both still sober today.

So, a year after rehab, I was the only one of the eight still alive, and we were all under forty. I was the youngest at 21. I recovered more or less on my 23rd birthday.

I recall a certain anxiety about the sober life. My experience to this point was not good, and I really had no idea what life would be like as a recovered alcoholic. There were so many things that I had never really experienced. I hadn't even grown up, having drunk my way through adolescence. So there was a lot of stuff the oldies seemed to get that I had no idea about.

I needn't have worried. It turned out way better than anything I could have imagined in every respect. I think the greatest thing I got from AA was the power to live a satisfying life without the need to drink. I got the power to handle everything that has come my way, and the thought of a drink has never entered my head.