View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 12:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Berrybean

As a teacher I was VERY worried about people finding out if I went to AA in my home town, although in the end I did get desperate enough to find the willingness to do whatnot needed to do. Once I'd been to AA I realised that these people had been going for years without it becoming public knowledge. I have only met 2 people who have had their anonymity blown.
1 - a young man who befriended an exciteable newcomer and accepted a Facebook friend request from him, and said exciteble young newcomer wanted to share their own recovery with the world, accidentally sharing the other persons. AA and social media don't mix. But I'm sure you wouldn't risk anything like that anyway.

2 - woman who liked to chainsmoke outside meetings got spotted chainsmoking outside meetings on a regular basis by someone whose ex was AA so they knew it was a meeting. Again. Common sense could have avoided that if she'd wanted it to.

You're a successful business person, so presumably can easily drive out of town for meetings. Perhaps that could be an option. You don't have to go to the ones near where you live or work, you can go anywhere.

Even if you choose not to go to meetings their website has lots of resources you can draw on.

Have you seen Dees threads about making a plan? There are lots of great links in there.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...y-plans-1.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

BB