View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
uncle holmes

Originally Posted by aboveangel1967 View Post
I have quit alcohol dozens of times. This time I hope to be more successful. I do not want to do AA - I am a successful, well known business person and the embarrassment would be too much. I hide my drinking well.

I am looking to add to my "tricks". Some I have in mind:

1 - I am stocked up on sparkling water and tea. I pour/make one when I sit down.

2 - I know a walk can distract (and be healthy) so have my walking clothes out and ready (energy is my problem)

3 - I plan to frequent here and read, reply.

Ideas?
I would get the book, "Staying Sober: A Guide For Relapse Prevention" by Terence T. Gorski and Merlene Miller.

If you're not going to do AA, this book will at least give you plenty of tools and tricks to stay sober and watch out for relapse.

People use AA as a recovery plan and as an outlet. You're going to need some outlets. This SoberRecovery forum is an excellent outlet.

If you're embarrassed to be seen at meetings, you could always try online meetings.

You might also want to get a therapist. Sobriety as well as life can have plenty of ups and downs that could trigger you to drink. You're going to need someone to talk to who has knowledge and experience.

And last but not least, ask God to help you stay sober every day!