View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
August252015

So, IME and IMO, the word tricks is....tricky. There's nothing I do that's outsmarting, duping, etc my alcoholism. There's just good, sober habits that one by one make up my life. Everything I try to do is for the best life possible for me and everyone around me - my program (see next bit), a very strong yoga and run program, sleep, a good diet, an excellent network of other people (alcoholic or not) trying to live their best lives, making the next right choice about how I spend my time, what I read, where I go....I could add lots more. Recovery is my entire worldview, comes before everything and everyone else- that includes my precious husband- and that's led to so much to be grateful for, enjoy and value here at 4 days shy of 2 years.

I "didn't want to do AA" for oh, years. I railed against it for no reason than I wanted to keep drinking. Turns out, it saved my life. You can use it and if really given a shot and you work a program, I'd venture odds are good that it would work for you too. And - IME and of nearly everyone else who thought people didn't know or such - nonsense. Everyone knew. AND btw - people with names on buildings in Atlanta are in my meetings, and every level of professional, doctor, business person and so on is represented just like the "average" or "rough" or whatever folks.

Whatever you DO - that word is the key. A plan of action - and not just "surface" habits like a good workout program- centered on quitting drinking, getting sober, then living in recovery - is what those of us with any amount of time have in common.

Best to you.