View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Foot and 4 -

Yeah I know that we are often told here, and in AA etc, that we shouldn't put ourselves in places where we might be tempted to drink/around other drinkers. But I'm not willing not to hang out with friends and family merely because they don't have the same problems with booze that I do. .
For me I couldn't just plonk myself down in situations in which I used to drink because... I drank.

Not usually right away...I would hang with friends or family and not drink and feel great - I'd lull myself into a false sense of security, or power, and then the next time in that situation, inexplicably and without thought, I'd crack open a beer.

I think looking back I hadn't really accepted the need to change my life.

What I really wanted was my life not to change at all, but for me to be a guy who could drink his fill and be none the worse for wear.

Fantasy stuff.

The last time I quit, I was at a drinking buddies house on day 3...I barely escaped that with sobriety intact.

I decided then and there I had to change my life and my approach.

If I feel I can't deal with a situation I'm going to extricate myself
Escape plans are vital but I think it's even better to think about situations before you're in the middle of them.

No one lifts 300 pounds their first lift. You need to work up to that.

I didn't draw the shades and hide away but I did assess every invite and opportunity according to whether it would be good for my recovery.

when I had a fine set of 'sobriety muscles', and I knew I wanted to be sober - then I could go out and be anywhere with anyone.,

All this is just my experience but that 'recovery weight training' was a wise investment for me.

D