View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Yes, it got harder for me as well. I needed to learn new and better ways to find some relief and deal with life generally. This is where Recovery comes in. Sobriety and Recovery are NOT the same thing. Just not drinking doesn't mean we're addressing our alcoholic thinking, and it's that thinking that will pull us back in to our old ways.

Have you considered making a plan for your recovery yet? Dee's thread could be a good place to start... https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...y-plans-1.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

Also, have you considered reaching out for face to face support? It's highly likely that there are AA meetings in your area. There may also be SMART or similar as well. It's def worth investigating so you at least know what your options are.

Hang in there. The first few months really can be tough. But the long term rewards mean that is realky is worth pushing through those cravings.

BB

PS next time try to reach out here before heading to the store, and wait for a response. Sometimes those cravings do just pass. And a craving actually has no physical control over us AT ALL.

PPS Are you familiar with HALT? Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. These are major triggers. One friend of mine really does get pretty insane if she's hungry. I tell her we'll talk after she's had a sandwich. By the time she's eaten that often she doesn't need talking down from her craving. Honestly, those HALT triggers really are powerful. It's worth planning around avoiding them if nothing else. Even if it's something as simple as talking an extra sandwich to eat an hour before leaving work so you aren't hungry when you're set loose at the end of the day.