View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
August252015

Welcome.

All you need in order to be a member of AA is a "desire to stop drinking." You don't even have to have quit yet. Of course, that's the recommended way to go

Work with a sponsor- someone with longer term sobriety who leads you through the BB and the steps as you work them together- is one way I have heard many people who struggle in some way (s) with the "religious" program of AA (in quotes bc I disagree that it is religious) - I am not one of those, as I have always believed in God but wandered legions away from Him during my drinking . The Higher Power concept doesn't have to be addressed right away. The two parts of step one- admitting you are powerless over alcohol and that your life has become unmanageable- have to come first before any other ideas, suggestions or anything can be made or followed.

I'd say what people say in meetings "Keep Coming Back." It took me months to begin to learn how much I needed (and wanted) to learn about AA to really begin to live a life in recovery, not just sobriety - two very different things.

Hope to see you on here, and hear about your continued interest in figuring out what AA's all about!