Thread: Falling Apart
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 02:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I have been to AA in the past. I have The Big Book and the Twelve Steps and Traditions. I don’t mind the larger groups but now that my little one is mobile, I’ll have to find a babysitter.
I don’t really like the smaller groups (for example, the women’s group) because I feel like so much time is wasted reading the rules in the beginning. The larger group doesn’t seem to do that.

I also found The Big Book a little hard to follow. I think mainly because it was written so long ago.
You wouldn't be alone if finding the big book hard to follow. The first time I read it, I thought it was too American would you believe?

My experience in working with others in your situation tells me that meetings, while an important pwrt of the whole, are not the program of recovery and they don't in themselves bring about the sort of recovery AA is aiming for.

I have seen people I worked with recover fully, while attending maybe two meetings a week. Their child care and other responsiblities make it unrealistic to expect them to be there every night

Then, at a convenient time we got together and worked the steps by following the directions in the book. The main part of this is just 21 pages, from 63 to 84. Not a big ask. None of this work is done at meetings, and none of it need be done alone. I never would have survived had I not had someone willing to help me through.

Possibly the most helpful meeting for someone in your situation would be a primary purpose group big book study. I have seen the lights come on for so many people in those meetings. They tend to be safe, there is no opportunity for drama in the format, and because it is a study (work) the people that go are generally very serious about recovery.