View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Scott L.

I'm Listening

Good Day L2L,

I know what it's like to have those memories creep there way back in to your life.

About 6 months in to recovery, after 17 years of alcohol and drug use, they came back to me. Panic attacks, nightmares the whole bit. I was molested when I was about 8, by the man who ran our paper routes.

It took me a couple of years to be able to tell my wife. But, I found a friend that I could share it with, she had the same issue.And I let it out a bit at a time.

I also found a professional to start to unload it and deal with it. Because I couldn't run any more. From that, and all of the other things that I had been running from , that was my reason for drinking and using for years.

I know that pastors are good couselors, but, I Know that some times good intentions are not enough. What I mean is, for some, unless thay have lived and experienced that same type of struggle, they can not relate. I do mean this in a general way of course.

I guess my point is, find some one, or a couple of someones, to start to unload on, a bit at a time, that worked for me.

My couple of someones were a pastor, a friend in recovery, and a non alcoholic friend. All three of these, I could trust with my anonynmiity.

The most important thing that I learned, is that that person who molested me, can not hurt me anymore.

Hnag in there, I'll keep you in my prayers