View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SiameseDream

Originally Posted by noturningback2 View Post
hmmm well, i know of alot people that don't drink often and then binge drink and wake up the next day feeling terrible and not remembering it all etc. My social media is pretty much filled with this every weekend, i wouldn't say they all have a problem with alcohol, especially in the UK as this seems to be commonplace. But after quitting drinking and your blinkers are off to the damage of alcohol, you do realise this isn't exactly normal either. i really don't know anyone that drinks responsibly at all times, and that's not just the company i kept, that's across the board including family. But should we rate and define our behaviour as ok just because someone else is 'worse'?

This clearly is something your husband isn't willing to tolerate, no matter how infrequent, and it does sound like he finds it embarrassing. My husband referred to seeing me in a drunk state as 'digusting'. Luckily it was always in private, so i didn't embarrass him anywhere, otherwise i think he would have left me there and then without question.

I also promised to never overdo it, but i always did, the times i could control it got fewer and fewer, until i had no control at all ever, and then i became angry at him for trying to control me and telling me to stop drinking. What i actually meant was, 'leave me and my booze alone'. So i guess I'm saying i started out as what you are saying right here today.

So do you have a problem? Only you can answer that, but i would say if you drinking is now unacceptable to your husband, then there is an issue no matter what, perhaps he is seeing something you cannot? If i could go back and stop when i was first told that i couldn't control my drinking, i would have spared myself an awful lot of heartache and mental health issues. Some people just aren't designed to drink, i am one of them, maybe you are too?

Perhaps your husband is sensitive regarding the drinking, but if i was to vomit all over myself in public infront of our friends, he would be giving me an ultimatum too. He also asked me, would i accept that behaviour of him?? Worth thinking about.
You sound a lot like me. I’m originally from the UK but have lived in Pittsburgh with my American husband since 2004. If I’m completely honest with myself I have had these episodes ever since I started drinking at the age of about 16. As we know the drinking culture in the UK is very different from the states or more likely any other country. When my husband and I first met, he would comment all the time about how people in the pubs there are ‘on a mission’ to get drunk.
Admittedly he only really saw students but we know that there is definitely a ‘drinking culture’ in the UK that is unlike anywhere else. At first I just put his remarks down to cultural differences, as being ‘on a mission’ was pretty much normal to me. Maybe that’s the problem?