View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NoahJ

Part of my support team was my sister in law (who is a dietician). I found, early on, that I walked a razors edge. If I ate too much, too little, the wrong things, went too long between snacks, etc., I just crashed out in an anxious mess. And I was always someone who could get away with skipping lunch before that. So that was weird.

Biologically there’s some kind of feedback that happens when you sober up. It’s related to alcohol, carbs, pancreas, and insulin production. I never really understood it. It’s not that everyone is suddenly a hypoglycemic for life. It’s more that there’s another biological system in your body that needs resetting, nd everyone is different. I know there are differences of opinion out there - avoid carbs, eat carbs to satisfy cravings, eat protein instead? I don’t know.

But anyway, even my sister in law wouldn’t help me until she knew that there wasn’t another underlying medical condition - pancreatitis, cirrhosis, pre cirrhosis, myopathy, etc. Those all have important implications for diet. And then the plan she gave me was more about what to eat, how often to eat, how long to eat (hint - don’t eat too fast). And it was really just what you’d think - eat healthy balanced meals with good snacks every 2 hours.

And FWIW, dietitians hate eating advice given on the internet because it’s usually wrong.

Good luck. For me, being hypoglycemic lasted about 6 months. I can have 2 coffees, skip lunch, and be more or less on again.