Notices

Alcohol and hypoglycemia??

Old 01-11-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and hypoglycemia??

I’m doing a lot of reading about recovery, alcoholism, stories... all that and I recently came across hypoglycemia with alcoholism? Does that mean you will always have hypoglycemia or is that something they are talking about as your body gets used to the lack of sugar? I’m on 22 days and still craving sugar so I’m not sure what to do with this new info
Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's really something you'd need to speak with a doctor about. There's a lot of possible causes for hypoglycemia. Craving sugar is certainly common after quitting, but that in itself doesn't mean you have hypoglycemia.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Re

Drinking alcohol can be the cause of hypoglycemia. Its best to get checked if you think you have it. I was diagnosed with it numerous years ago..that was also when i went out every night and drank half a liter of whatever alcohol every day..
Old 01-12-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Part of my support team was my sister in law (who is a dietician). I found, early on, that I walked a razors edge. If I ate too much, too little, the wrong things, went too long between snacks, etc., I just crashed out in an anxious mess. And I was always someone who could get away with skipping lunch before that. So that was weird.

Biologically there’s some kind of feedback that happens when you sober up. It’s related to alcohol, carbs, pancreas, and insulin production. I never really understood it. It’s not that everyone is suddenly a hypoglycemic for life. It’s more that there’s another biological system in your body that needs resetting, nd everyone is different. I know there are differences of opinion out there - avoid carbs, eat carbs to satisfy cravings, eat protein instead? I don’t know.

But anyway, even my sister in law wouldn’t help me until she knew that there wasn’t another underlying medical condition - pancreatitis, cirrhosis, pre cirrhosis, myopathy, etc. Those all have important implications for diet. And then the plan she gave me was more about what to eat, how often to eat, how long to eat (hint - don’t eat too fast). And it was really just what you’d think - eat healthy balanced meals with good snacks every 2 hours.

And FWIW, dietitians hate eating advice given on the internet because it’s usually wrong.

Good luck. For me, being hypoglycemic lasted about 6 months. I can have 2 coffees, skip lunch, and be more or less on again.