View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
Now the real issue is your contentment in sobriety. As mindfulman suggested, I got true happiness once I worked the steps of AA and had my spiritual experience. I am grateful now for everyday I am sober and through the process it has changed my perception of the world. I am truly an optimist now and see the positive and good.
My experience was the same. But we don't know what we don't know. What would life be like after such an experience? I had no idea because it was beyond my experience. I Just took it on faith from people like Done4today - I could see they had a better deal than I did.

The change is profound. Psychiatrist Carl Jung descibes it like this.

""Yes," replied the doctor, "there is. Exceptions to cases such as yours have been occurring since early times. Here and there, once in a while, alcoholics have had what are called vital spiritual experiences. To me these occurrences are phenomena. They appear to be in the nature of huge emotional displacements and rearrangements. Ideas, emotions, and attitudes which were once the guiding forces of the lives of these men are suddenly cast to one side, and a completely new set of conceptions and motives begin to dominate them."