View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Families are always slow to come around and sometimes they never do. We have let them down on many past occasions and it can be kinda hard for them to catch on that we have actually changed.

I made amends with my dad by a letter, to which he replied. It was an amazing experience. In our letters we talked like we would never talk face to face, and we never mentioned the letters to each other. But our relationship was restored.

My mother was entirely different. A drinking alcoholic unable to live out in the world, she hates everybody, especially my late father and me. We are to blame for all her self pitying resentment and she never missed a chance to hurt us or our loved ones. I have had nothing to do with her for a long time now. I did my best to straighten out the past, and help her find a solution to her problems, all to no avail. She should hve died years ago and the only reason she hasn't, I believe, is that God doesn't want the aggravation.

Some things we can't fix. We make the effort and hold ourselves ready if a future opportunity opens up, and we leave all that in God's hands.