View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
comtnman740

Verbally Abusive Mother

Hey All,
I recently completed my 8th step and am currently working on my 9th step. The top of the resentment and amends list is my mother. She is very difficult person to deal with and in an effort to talk to her recently about a misunderstanding hung up on me. Our relationship has been rocky since i was a kid where there was alot of verbal abuse. I'm now 43 and there have been years where we didn't talk. I personally said some nasty things to her while i was drinking. I am now 11 months sober as of tomorrow and have been looking forward to reconciling with her. That all fell apart today. Recently there was a misunderstanding and i called her today to explain but she immediately raised her voice and literally lost it on the phone. After calling me a drunk and claiming that i never called her on Christmas (which i did) she hung up on me.
I am very bummed because it appears that we're heading into another cooling off period and honestly i don't know if and when i'll ever speak to her again. Honestly i'm relieved because it is so exhausting to be in touch with her. She is mean spirited and just plain nasty. She never showed for my sisters wedding or my brothers funeral. This is all in my 4th step and have given that to God. I spoke with it to my sponsor and he suggested sending a card to them to make amends. I would've liked to do it in person but this is how it's going to have to be now. Anyway gang i know tomorrow is another day but i'm just kinda bummed. On the positive note i have a great job situation, will have 11 months tomorrow and a very loving girlfriend who is very supportive. Would love to hear thoughts on dealing with an abusive parent in recovery?
Thanks!